HOME   |   DOWNTOWN   |  HOUSES AND APARTMENTS   |  COMMERCIAL BLDGS.   |   MISCELLANEOUS LOCATIONS   |   LINKS  |  NEXT PHOTO

This view looks to the northwest from Luckie Street near the intersection of Luckie and Forsyth Streets.

Herren's Restaurant (84 Luckie Street) is visible on the left.  It was opened in 1934 by prizefighter Charlie "Red" Herren.  In 1939 Guido Negri bought the restaurant and the business stayed in the Negri family until Herren's closed in 1987.  Herren's is noted for being downtown Atlanta's first restaurant to voluntarily desegregate, which they did in 1962.

Date:  1956

Google map

GSU FILE:   N05-79_a

 

TOP PHOTO COURTESY SPECIAL COLLECTIONS DEPT, PULLEN LIBRARY, GEORGIA STATE UNIVERSITY

Luckie Street as seen from the intersection of Luckie St. and Forsyth St.  The former site of Herren's was undergoing a major renovation at the time this photo was taken.  When the renovation is complete, the building will serve as the headquarters for the Theatrical Outfit, a live theatre organization.

For more details on the renovation, see the Central Atlanta Progress website.

The pale beige building on the far left of this photo is the Rialto Center.

Date:  06/27/04

 

 

 

HOME   |   DOWNTOWN   |  HOUSES AND APARTMENTS   |  COMMERCIAL BLDGS.   |   MISCELLANEOUS LOCATIONS   |   LINKS   |  NEXT PHOTO