HOME   |   DOWNTOWN   |  HOUSES AND APARTMENTS   |  COMMERCIAL BLDGS.   |   MISCELLANEOUS LOCATIONS   |   LINKS  |  NEXT PHOTO

Happy 50th anniversary  to the Waffle House, a chain of restaurants that never disappoints hungry chow hounds.  On your right is a photo of the original Waffle House, located at 2719 East College Avenue in Decatur, which opened Labor Day 1955. 

In August 2008, the Waffle House completed a total renovation of this property, restoring the exterior to the way it looked when it opened as the first Waffle House in 1955.  The building now functions as the Waffle House museum, open by appointment for groups of 10 or more and on an irregular basis to the public at large.

Go here for more photos and Waffle House history.

Date:   Approx. 1965

Google map

 


TOP PHOTO COURTESY OF THE WAFFLE HOUSE

The site of the first Waffle House ever opened, at 2719 East College Avenue in Decatur, Georgia   Despite the fact that most people consider this stretch of road to be in Avondale Estates, it is just a little bit west of Avondale Estates' city limits and about a block or so east of Decatur's city limits.  The property actually has a Decatur mailing address.

Date:   07/04/05

HOME   |   DOWNTOWN   |  HOUSES AND APARTMENTS   |  COMMERCIAL BLDGS.   |   MISCELLANEOUS LOCATIONS   |   LINKS   |  NEXT PHOTO